How to Fix DLL Not Found on Windows 10
Though with the time Microsoft has tried hard to improve the experience of end user by making its operating system free from errors and treats but still because of some glitches you may see some ugly errors on your screen sometimes. Sometimes they may be because of some important system files missing from your computer. “DLL not fond” or “missing DLL” is one of those errors. There can be many causes for this error in this article let us understand causes of this error and best possible fixes which you can try at your own.
Causes of DLL not found:
Here are some of the most common causes of this error.
- You might have deleted an important system file accidently.
- You have just installed a program and DLL also got deleted with it.
- A recently attached hardware requires a system file which is not already there on your computer.
- An important system file is moved to another place on your computer.
Fixes of DLL not found:
If you have decided to fix this error by yourself without assistance of any professional technician, then the first thing you should remember is not to download DLL files from just any site because this may make the situation worst for you. Here are some fixes which can work for you.
- Force restart the computer:
If you are getting DLL nor found error and your computer is just freeze then the only thing you should try is to force restart the computer. You can do this using task manager, or it can also be done by interrupting power supply. On the next boot you may not see the error but still you need to identify the cause of the error because if it is a program then you will get the same error again when you will restart the program.
- Check recycle bin for accidently deleted DLL files:
If you have recently deleted program data, then you should check your recycle bin for any accidently deleted DLL files. Here you should keep in mind that your hidden files are also visible. To show hidden files you can go to the explorer>View and tick the hidden checkbox.
- Update drivers:
If you have recently attached a hardware to your computer, then you should check for a suitable driver for it. Some hardware may work correctly without manually installing a driver, but they can cause such errors. To fix this you can go to Device manger and can find your recently installed hardware. After this you need to right click on it and look for and update for the driver.
- Perform installation repair for Windows:
If you are done with above fixes and still getting the same error, then you should run windows repair. You can do this by inserting windows disc and choosing system repair from the starting options. Otherwise you can also run windows set up from a flash drive or from a hard drive from computer. repair installation restores missing DLL File and fixes the issue.
- Run a full system scan:
Sometimes it is a malware or a virus because of which you are getting this error message. So, it is a better idea to run a deep scan with your antivirus and let it fix all the issues. Some malware attacks on your system files and you start getting such error messages.
- Run sfc /scannow command:
Another fix which you can try to get rid of this error message is Running sfc or scan now command. These commands can work as an in-built tool to repair operating system related issues. Let us understand how you can use this command to fix DLL not found issues on your computer.
- Run command prompt as administrator. To do this type cmd in the search box and press enter.
- Command prompt will be open in front of your now if you are running Windows 10, Windows 8 or 8.1 first you need to run Inbox Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) before you run system file checker. To do this you can type given command and hit enter
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
This command will restore corrupted files from windows system online.
Please Note that you should also have windows setup disc or removable drive ready when you are running this command because sometimes if windows is not able to search for the correct fix then it search for a repair for corrupted file from the disc.
- Now to run SFC command. To do this you need to type sfc /scannow at system folder. Press enter to run the command.
- The command will scan and replace corrupted files on your computer even if they are hidden.
- Please do not close command prompt until the process get competed. After the completion of scan, you will see the results.
- One of the following messages will be received after the completion of scan.
- Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
Which means that you do not have any corrupted system files.
- Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
To solve this problem, you need to perform the System File Checker scan in safe mode, and make it sure that the PendingDeletes and PendingRenames folders exist under %WinDir%\WinSxS\Temp.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
If you want to view the detailed information regarding system file scan and restoration you can view them by system file checker process.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
This message means that SFC command cannot help. you need to try your luck with manual steps which are mentioned above. As a last resort you can take a backup of your data and can install a fresh copy of OS.
This was how you can fir DLL nor found error on windows. Apart from this keeping your operating system up to date is most important. So, you should regularly check for updates to keep your system healthy and error free.